Monday, January 10, 2011

Reader Response to Popol Vuh

To me the PoPol Vuh was interesting and held my attention better than a lot of other short readings I have read. While growing up, I was raised to think that the beginning of the world and mankind began exactly as the Bible stated and that was it. Although I like the readings of the Bible and believe what is stated there, I really liked the Myan view of how the world and humans were created.
                In the Bible, I feel like when it was written the mistakes that were made in the past were either hidden or covered up to convey a perfect image to where the Myan people told of their mistakes with the creation of people, such as the animals, clay people, wood people etc. I enjoyed reading of their mistakes because life is full of mistakes and it just seemed more realistic to me.  My idea of the Myan people from the PoPol Vuh, is that they are smart, creative, and not afraid to admit their mistakes, to which they tie into the daily life until the Gods could create their perfect image of  humans who not only worshipped them but to look normal.
            If I had to choose I would rather read the Popol Vuh over a lot of religious beginnings and writings because it fascinates me and I love creativity and can relate to it. My favorite part of reading the Popol vuh was the creation of the mud/clay people, because they were closer to the perfection on mankind but always fell apart which I found amusing. I also like the part about the wood people even though in a way what happened to them was cruel just because they were still not close enough to the perfect image of man.
            Even though I find the Popol Vuh to be a fun read and a completely different view on the beginning of the world and mankind, I still side with my religious beliefs and Christian views. I think everyone should be entitled to believe what they want about anything religious or in general. Also if anyone were ask for a short religious reading, I would definitely recommend the Popol Vuh.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that a very interesting view of the Mayan people comes from this creation story. These gods are very human! I agree with you that reading about the gods making mistakes is interesting, and not something that Christianity would do. I like how you end your piece with such a nice paragraph of confidence and tolerance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I think you need to make your text a different color: the black on black is a little hard to read. Maybe you could make your text white?

    ReplyDelete