Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Zorro Reader Response

Allende Reader Response
            After reading Zorro, my personal thought of the image of the character and the story changed. I remember when I was younger sitting in front of the television and episodes of Zorro would come on, but each were so different I could never tell what the whole plot or what was to be taken from the episodes. I loved Isabel Allende’s version of Zorro it’s full of action and I personally think it tells the tale of Zorro better than anything that I have come across.
            The images used draws the reader in the most, I remember while reading, reaching the first part of Zorro the class was assigned, but being unable to put the book down due to the images. Also the reader can be drawn into the story by that way Allende bounces back and forth between Diego’s past and present through images and narrative. The image that I found powerful from the graphic novel was the image from the rape scene. The image showed so little but silently it tells so much, though there was blood and gore in some of the images the rape scene was so horrific to me.
            Not only do the images speak for the graphic novel, but without the words the novel would not come together. This story relates to me because I share the same beliefs as Zorro, justice for all and to bring down wrong doers. Zorro shares his opinions to people through fighting for justice and leaving the mark of his name with a “Z”, I fight for justice by voicing my opinion. We are the same in beliefs, but obviously different in our style of fighting, as much as I’d love to bring justice to bad guys with a sword dressed in black, but realistically that’ not possible.
            Overall, I love the way the novel is laid out starting with the boys in the cave, which later related to the cave becoming the new hide out and coven for Zorro. One part I found confusing and interesting was that Zorro ended up with the black horse which was Bernardo’s spirit animal. After thinking about this part I tried piecing together reasoning and determined that Bernardo and Diego were connected and fighting as one through the horse Tornado. Another part of the novel I liked was when Diego was fighting to join La Justicia, even after he left Barcelona continued being a part of the group as well as introducing it to America.
            I would strongly recommend this graphic novel to anyone who likes action, adventure, and excitement because that is exactly what Zorro is. This novel also works he reader into the tale and makes them appreciate a good action tale that is also tied in with Mexican values.

1 comment:

  1. I like your point about how Francavilla's images make the story so powerful. In some graphic novels, the words are still more important than the pictures, but in this case, I think the visual narrative is as important as the text narrative. I think this creates a very different reading experience because it engages different parts of the brain to create a more complex set of emotions.

    ReplyDelete